My Blog List

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cultural Legacy

In the book "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell, he devotes a chapter to cultural leagcy. In Kentucky, there is a small town by the name of Harlem. In the town, there is a long running fued between the Turners and the Howards. The fight was voilant and it all traced back to a simple poker game were the grandsons of the original Turners and Howerds accused the others of cheating.Gladwell then follows this with saying that this was a pattern followed by by many other small towns. He says this traces back to ones cultural legacy.

Ones cultural legacy is the idea that the way one behaves and reacts is due in part to were one's family is from. I don't really have a cultural legacy. My family has been in America since the late 1600's. Though, on my fathers side, who currently live in Arkansas but are originally from Wales, have the cultural legacy that traces back to the old country. They have a really close family. All the second cousins are on a first name basis and everybody supports each other.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree that you don't have a cultural legacy. I believe that you do. The Welsh have fought the British for many years for independence, so I believe that you have he legacy of an independent thinking person who will defend his beliefs.

    ReplyDelete